FLORENCE-TOURISM


GENERAL INFO




HOW TO ARRIVE

English Italiano

All Florence'smuseums


Basilica di San Lorenzo
Address: Piazza San Lorenzo
Telephone: 055214042 (opera Medicea Laurenziana);
055290184 (Cooperativa Opera d’Arte)
Fax: 0552654696
E-mail: sanlorenzo@operadarte.net

The first documented church of the city (393), is closely bound to the Medici Family, who charged Filippo Brunelleschi with the design in 1418. The visit includes the church and the old Sacristy by Brunelleschi. A masterpiece of Renaissance architecture, the basilica contains sculptures and paintings by Donatello, Filippo Lippi, Desiderio da Settignano, Rosso Fiorentino and Bronzino.


Battistero San Giovanni
Address: Piazza San Giovanni
Telephone: 0552302885
Fax: 0552302898
E-mail: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

The oldest monument in the square was originally built in the 5th century, but  its current form dates back to the 11th century; the mosaics of  the dome were added in the 13th century. The three bronze doors are by Andrea Pisano (south door) 1330 ca.; by Lorenzo Ghiberti (north and east door).The latter is a copy, the original is in the Museo dell'opera.
In addition to the splendid mosaics the interior also contains the funerary monument to Baldassarre Cossa, by Donatello and Michelozzo.


Biblioteca laurenziana
Address: Piazza San Lorenzo 9
Telephone: 055210760
Fax: 0552302992
E-mail: medicea@unifi.it

This library, accessed from the cloister of San Lorenzo, was first opened to the public in 1571. It is one of Michelangelo's masterpieces and one of the most philologically and artistically significant librarian heritage. The monumental vestibule and reading room are opened to visitors as a museum. Temporary exhibitions of manuscripts and printed books are held in the adjacent rooms of the 19th century.


Giotto Bell tower
Address: Piazza del Duomo
Telephone: 0552302885
Fax: 0552302898
E-mail: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

The site isn't disabled-friendly. The tower has 413 steps.
The cathedral bell tower, built between 1334 and 1359, was designed by Giotto, Andrea Pisano and Francesco Talenti. It is made up of  three levels and has a panoramic terrace at the top of the 413 steps. The 16 statues and 56 bas-reliefs adorning the building are copies (the originals are in the Museo dell'opera).


Cappella Brancacci
Address: Piazza del Carmine
Telephone: 0552382195
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

The frescoes in the Brancacci chapel are among the most accomplished painting testimonies of all time. They were painted by Masolino and Masaccio (1425 ca.) and completed by Filippo Lippi (1485 ca.). The parts painted by Masaccio, including the famous episodes of the Paradise Lost and the Tribute Money, display, in their use of perspective and the volumetric power of the figures, the sheer genius of the Godfather of Renaissance painting. The visit also includes a programme of educational activities.


Medici Chapels (Cappelle Medicee)
Address: piazza Madonna Aldobrandini 5
Telephone: 0552388602
Fax: 0552388602

The so called Medici Chapels include the Baroque chapel of the Princes and the New Sacristy, started in 1521 upon a design by Michelangelo. The complex keeps an important cycle of sculptures by Michelangelo: the statues of Giuliano Duke of Nemours, of Lorenzo Duke of Urbino, of the Madonna and Child; and the adjacent figures of Day and Night, Dawn and Dusk.                         The visit also includes a collection of valuable reliquaries and, on request, the wall drawings by Michelangelo and his school situated in the underground areas.


House of Michelangelo
Address: via Ghibellina 70
Telephone: 055241752
Fax: 055241698
E-mail: fond@casabuonarroti.it

This house, bought by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1514 and renovated in the 17th century by his great grandson Michelangelo the Younger, exhibits original drawings and early masterpieces by the celebrated artist, including the Madonna of the Steps, the Battle of the Centauries, and the art collections of the Buonarroti family. Visitors are also taken through the sumptuous Baroque rooms, with some of the finest examples of the 17th century Florence and Tuscany art.


House of Rodolfo Siviero
Address: Lungarno Serristori 1-3
Telephone: 0552345219 (Museum); 055293007 (Friends of the Museums Association)
Fax: 0552345219
E-mail: a.tori@mail.regione.toscana.it

This building, built by G.Poggi, contains the private collection of Rodolfo Siviero, who saved many works of art that would have otherwise gone lost during World War II. The interior and furniture are typical of an art lover. Furniture, weapons, vases, medals and archaeological finds accompany the statues and paintings from various periods. There is a particularly interesting section with works by De Chirico, Soffici, Manzù, Messina, and Annigoni, who were all friends of Siviero.


Cenacolo del Conservatorio di Fuligno
Address: via Faenza 42
Telephone: 055286982
Fax: 0552388699
E-mail: segreteria@sbas.firenze.it

Founded at the beginning of the 14th century and renovated around 1430, the ancient convent of the nuns of Fuligno went through several vicissitudes and was used for various purposes. The refectory area is dominated by the fresco of the Last Supper (1493-1496) painted by Pietro Perugino and his workshop: the scene of Christ’s last meal is depicted with calm beauty with a beautiful landscape in the background.


Cenacolo de Ghirlandaio
Address: Borgo ognissanti 42
Telephone: 0552396802; 3486450390

The refectory of the Convento di ognissanti, accessible through a Renaissance cloister frescoed with scenes from the Life of St. Francis around 1600, was built in 1488 and painted by Ghirlandaio. The refectory contains the Last Supper and its sinopia, together with ancient hand basins and a doorway, both dated 1488, as well as two 18th century paintings by Romei, and an early 15th century Annunciation.


Cenacolo di San Salvi
Address: via di San Salvi 16
Telephone: 0552388603

The museum is housed in the monumental rooms of the 16th century Vallombrosian monastery of San Salvi. In addition to the famous fresco of the Last Supper by Andrea del Sarto, the abbey keeps paintings by important Florentine and Tuscan artists of the 16th century (including Franciabigio, Pontormo, Maso da San Friano, Sogliani, Michele di Ridolfo, Brina, Butteri and Poppi). There is also a fine funeral monument to San Giovanni Gualberto by Benedetto da Rovezzano.


Cenacolo di Sant'Apollonia
Address: via XXVII Aprile 1
Telephone: 0552388607
Fax: 0552388699
E-mail: segreteria@sbas.firenze.it

The ancient refectory in the Benedictine Convent of Sant'Apollonia has been a museum since 1891. Dedicated to the powerful personality of Andrea del Castagno, in the first room it displays works taken from the convent (paintings by Neri di Bicci and Paolo Schiavo). In the refectory, dominated by the Last Supper surmounted by the scenes of the Resurrection, Crucifixion and Deposition can be admired other works by Andrea del Castagno (Cristo in pietà, Crocifissione): fragments of frescoes from the church of Sant'Egidio.


Church of Santa Maria Novella
Address: piazza Santa Maria Novella
Telephone: 055215918
Fax: 055219257
E-mail: operasmn@virgilio.it

A ticket system has been introduced in order to ensure the tutelage of the works of art and the preservation of the church religious function. Of particular interest are the architectural structures, Giotto's Cross, Orcagna's altarpiece, Nardo di Cione's frescoes, Brunelleschi's sculpted Crucifix, Masaccio's Trinity, the fresco cycles by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio, and Botticelli's Nativity.


Chiostro dello Scalzo
Address: via Cavour 69
Telephone: 0552388604
Fax: 0552388699
E-mail: segreteria@sbas.firenze.it

During processions the cross bearer used to walk barefoot, hence the name of Chiostro dello Scalzo. It is entirely frescoed entirely with scenes from the Life of John the Baptist, by Andrea del Sarto. It took a long time to the artist to accomplish the work, which began in 1509-1510 and was not finished until 1526.


Collezione della Fondazione di Studi di Storia dell'Arte Roberto Longhi
Address: via Benedetto Fortini 30
Telephone: 0556580794
Fax: 0556580794
E-mail: longhi@iris.firenze.it

A museum housed in Villa il Tasso, which from 1939 to 1970 was the home of Roberto Longhi (1890-1970), the famous art critic who collected  some major artworks dating between the 13th and 20th century. It includes important works by Caravaggio and the Caravaggeschi.


Complesso Monumentale di Santa Croce
Address: piazza Santa Croce 16
Telephone: 0552466105
Fax: 0552466105
E-mail: segreteria@santacroceopera.it

Italy's Pantheon of Illustrious Dead (tombs and monuments of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Dante, Rossini, Foscolo, Alfieri, etc.) also has frescoes by Giotto and the main Grotesque artists, Cimabue's Crucifix, Donatello's Crucix and Annunciation, Brunelleschi's Cappella dei Pazzi and cloister, the Gallery of the Romantic Sepulchres, 19th century sculptures (Canova, Bartolini, Dupré) and works by Verrocchio, Rossellino, Ghiberti, Vasari, Bronzino and Della Robbia.


Cripta di Santa Reparata
Address: piazza del Duomo
Telephone: 0552302885
Fax: 0552302898
E-mail: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

The Cripta isn't wheelchair accessible; there are ten steps at the entrance.
Santa Reparata, the ancient cathedral of Florence, was built in the 5th century and demolished at the end of the 13th century to be replaced by the new and much bigger Santa Maria del Fiore. The crypt has early Christian mosaic floors, remains of frescoes, tombstones and the tomb of Filippo Brunelleschi.


Brunelleschi Dome

Address: piazza del Duomo
Telephone: 0552302885
Fax: 0552302898
E-mail: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

The octagonal Dome of Florence Cathedral was built by Brunelleschi between 1418 and 1434 while the lantern, designed by the same architect, was added after his death in 1446. The ball, a work by Andrea del Verrocchio, was added in 1466 (the present ball is a copy: the original one was hit by by a lightning and fell down in 1600). The 463 steps lead up to the panoramic terrace. The climbing gives an excellent view of the interior of the Cathedral and the inner architectural structure of the dome itself.


Fondazione Romano nel Cenacolo di Santo Spirito
Address: piazza Santo Spirito 29
Telephone: 055287043
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

Housed in the ancient refectory of the Augustinian monastery of Santo Spirito. The huge room, decorated with a fresco by Andrea Orcagna representing the Crucifixion and the Last Supper, contains sculptures donated by the antiquarian Salvatore Romano in 1946 to the City of Florence. Prominent among the works, which date from pre-Roman times to the 16th century, are the Caryatid and Angel by Tino di Camaino, a Madonna with child by Jacopo della Quercia and two low-reliefs by Donatello.


Fondazione Scienza e Tecnica – Planetarium
Address: via Giusti 27
Telephone: 055242241; 0552341157; 055242654
Fax: 0552343140
E-mail: info@fstfirenze.it

 

Fondazione Scienza e Tecnica – Planetarium
Address: via Giusti 27
Telephone: 055242241; 0552341157; 055242654
Fax: 0552343140
E-mail: info@fstfirenze.it

The Foundation was established in 1987 to foster a scientific, technical and industrial culture. It contains the huge historical scientific heritage of the 19th century Istituto Tecnico Toscano. This collection, a one of its kind in Italy, has some 50,000 items: natural history collections, scientific instruments, models of machines, industrial products and book collections of particular historical interest. In April 2002 the planetarium was opened to the public.


Modern Art Gallery
Address: Palazzo Pitti, piazza Pitti
Telephone: 0552388601
Fax: 0552654520
E-mail: GAM@sbas.firenze.it


Galleria degli Uffizi
Address: loggiato degli Uffizi 6
Telephone: 0552388651
Fax: 0552388694
E-mail: direzione.uffizi@tin.it

The gallery dates back to the age of the Medici (1581), but the world-famous art gallery did not open to the public until 1765. It has paintings from the Tuscan school from the 13th century to the Renaissance and beyond (Giotto, Masaccio, Piero della Francesca, Botticelli, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo), as well as works by other Italian (Mantegna, Bellini, Raphael, Titian, Caravaggio) and European artists. There is also an important collection of ancient sculpture.


Galleria del Costume di Palazzo Pitti
Address: piazza Pitti
Telephone: 0552388713
Fax: 0552388713
E-mail: costume.pitti@virgilio.it

This museum of  fashion history has collections of costumes and accessories from the 18th century up to present days, along with theatrical costumes and the restored funeral garments of Cosimo I de' Medici, Eleonora di Toledo and Don Garzia. The collections are selected for display on a biennial basis and for temporary exhibitions.


Galleria dell'Accademia
Address: via Ricasoli 58-60
Telephone: 0552388612
Fax: 0552388609
E-mail: GalleriaAccademia@sbas.firenze.it

The collection comprises a major group of sculptures by Michelangelo ( the statues of David and St. Matthew, and four unfinished Prisoners for the mausoleum of Pope Julius II), paintings from the Florentine school from the 13th to 16th centuries, and original plaster models by Lorenzo Bartolini and Luigi Pampaloni. A new section is dedicated to ancient musical instruments from the Medici and Lorraine households.


Galleria dell'Istituto degli Innocenti
Address: piazza SS. Annunziata 12
Telephone: 0552037323
Fax: 055241663
E-mail: sartini@istitutodegliinnocenti.it

The gallery is situated in the hall above Brunelleschi's famous loggia, and displays works belonging to the hospital, which were made to embellish the church and the other rooms. The various masterpieces, which have been on show since 1971, include Adoration of the Magi by Ghirlandaio, the Madonna and Child by Luca della Robbia, works by Botticelli and Piero di Cosimo and paintings from the Florentine Cinquecento.


Galleria Palatina e Appartamenti Reali
Address: piazza Pitti
Telephone: 0552388611; 0552388614
Fax: 0552888613
E-mail: galleriapalatina.galleri@tin.it

Housed in the halls of Palazzo Pitti's noble level, The Museum proves the great interest of the Medici and Lorraine families for 16th and 17th century art. In fact the works are mainly from the 16th and 17th centuries, by artists such as Raphael, Andrea del Sarto, Pontormo, Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese, Caravaggio, Rubens, Van Dyck and Velàzquez. Adjacent to the gallery are the monumental apartments, documenting the period when they were the residence of the Italian royal family.


Galleria Rinaldo Carnielo
Address: piazza Savonarola 3
Telephone: 055575045
Fax: 0552625984
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

The Art Nouveau-style building that was the study-home of Rinaldo Carnelio (1853-1910) contains sculptures, plaster models and casts and bas-reliefs that reflect Carnelio's eclecticism and the influence of the Florentine art on this Venetian sculptor. The bas-reliefs evoke the purity of Renaissance form, the preparatory plaster models for the commemorative monuments are veristic, whereas the furnishings reveal a passion for the whimsical forms of Art Nouveau style.


Giardino della Villa Medicea di Castello
Address: Castello, via di Castello 47
Telephone: 055454791

Visitors to the Villa, now the home of Italy's venerable Crusca Academy, are only admitted to the beautiful garden by Tribolo (1537) , which was order by Cosimo I to embellish his property. Of particular interest is the so-called "Animals Grotto", an unusual artificial space designed by Tribolo, populated by an encyclopaedic sample of animals sculpted by Giambologna and others, and brought to life by spectacular water displays.


Giardino di Boboli
Address: piazza Pitti
Telephone: 0552651816

Originally laid out on the Belvedere hillside by Tribolo in 1549 for duchess Eleonora of Toledo, it was extended and modified in the successive centuries. It is one of the most significant and finest examples of Italian garden, with fountains, spectacular scenery, grottoes.


Science history museum
Address: piazza dei Giudici 1
Telephone: 055265311
Fax: 0552653130
E-mail: imss@imss.fi.it

This museum , which opened in 1930, presents the Medici and Lorraine collections of scientific instruments. Of particular significance are the mathematical and astronomical instruments of the Renaissance, some belonging to Galileo and others to the Cimento Academy.


Archaeological museum
Address: via della Colonna 38
Telephone: 05523575
Fax: 055242213
E-mail: sat@comune.firenze.it

Visitors are admitted to the ancient Egyptian section (one of the largest in Italy) and to the section presenting the collections of the Medici family and the Grand-Dukes, with Greek, Etruscan and Roman exhibits. They include the François vase (6th century BC); the sarcophagus of the Amazons with paintings from the 6th century BC.; bronze Etruscan statues of the Chimaera (5th-6th centuries BC) and of the Orator (1st century BC.).


Museo Casa di Dante
Address: via Santa Margherita 1
Telephone: 055219416
Fax: 055219416

The museum, currently closed for renovation works, is structured on three floors, each marking a key period in the life and work of Dante Alighieri (1265-1321). It presents iconographic, graphic and documentary material on the life of the poet and several editions of the Divine Comedy.


Museo degli Argenti
Address: Palazzo Pitti, piazza Pitti 1
Telephone: 0552388709; 0552388761
Fax: 0552388710
E-mail: argenti@sbas.firenze.it

This museum is situated inside the Pitti Palace, in what was once the summer apartment of the Tuscan sovereigns. The museum is both an example of a royal residence and a display of artworks belonging to the Grand-Dukes. On the ground-can be visited entertainment rooms with ivories, reliquaries, ambers and semi-precious stones. On the mezzanine are the jewels of the Palatine Electress, the Treasure of Salzburg, various exotic items and jewelleries from the 18th and 19th centuries. .


Museo del Bigallo
Address: piazza San Giovanni 1
Telephone: 055215440
Fax: 055210141
E-mail: o.bigallo@tin.it

This museum, situated in the 14th century Loggia del Bigallo, was founded in 1904 and contains works of art belonging to the ancient Confraternity of Bigallo. The most significant works are the Madonna della Misericordia, a 1342 fresco featuring a view of Florence; a Crucifix su tavola by the Maestro del Bigello; a portable triptych by Bernardo Daddi; a Madonna and Child with Angels by Alberto Arnoldi; and a Madonna dell’Umiltà by Domenico di Michelino.


Museo del Calcio
Address: Coverciano, via Aldo Palazzeschi 20
Telephone: 0556193190; 055600526
E-mail: info@museodelcalcio.it

A range of memorabilia (shirts, scarves, footballs and trophies) celebrating the victories of the Italian national team in the World Cup, Olympic Games and European championships in 1934, 1936, 1938, 1968 and 1982, the alomost-victories of 1970, 1978, 1990, 1994 and 2000 and the victories of the under-21 side in 1992, 1994 and 1995. The history of the Italian Football Association (FIGC) is documented by multi-media presentations, with photographs and TV footage.


Museo dell'opera di Santa Maria del Fiore
Address: piazza del Duomo 9
Telephone: 0552302885
Fax: 0552302898
E-mail: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

Founded in 1891 and refurbished in 1999, the museum contains works coming from Florence Cathedral, most notably Michelangelo's, the Cantorie by Donatello and Luca della Robbia, statues and panels from Giotto's belltower, the statues of Arnolfo di Cambio for the Cathedral's original façade, the silver altar of the Baptistery, the restored panels of the Baptistery's "Gate of Paradise" by Lorenzo Ghiberti.


Museo dell'opificio delle Pietre Dure
Address: via degli Alfani 78
Telephone: 0552651357
Fax: 055287123

The main room documents production under the Medici and Lorraine families, the 19th century rooms cover the period after the unification of Italy. The raised ground floor is devoted to the various techniques used for the production of precious stones, and displays various stone pieces, workbenches and craftsmen's tools, inlaying and engraving techniques, illustrating the entire process from the original idea to the finished work and unveiling the most detailed mechanisms of such a valuable art.


Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica di Palazzo Davanzati
Address: via Porta Rossa 13
Telephone: 0552388610
Fax: 0552388699

This building, which dates back to the mid-14th century, became the property of the Davanzati family in 1578, who lived here until 1838. It was purchased in the early 20th century by the antiquarian Elia Volpi, who furnished it as a typical old Florentine home. The building was bought by the State in 1951 and opened in 1956 as the Museum of the Ancient Florentine Home. The collections comprise various items from different periods: paintings, sculptures, furniture, furnishings, fabrics, majolica and everyday objects.


Museo della Certosa
Address: Galluzzo, via Buca di Certosa 2
Telephone: 0552049226
Fax: 0552048617

Visit of the complexincludes: the 14th century church of San Lorenzo (remodelled in the 16th century), which is filled with frescoes and paintings; the large Renaissance cloister with its fine well and 66 terracotta busts by Giovanni della Robbia; a number of monks' cells and the small Conversi cloister. Palazzo Acciaioli, at the entrance to the Certosa, is the home of the Art Gallery, which, among other works, has a series of frescoes by Pontormo with Scenes of the Passion (1523-1525), separated from the large cloister.


Herbert Percy Horne Foundation
Indirizzo: via dei Benci 6
Telefono: 055 244661
E-mail: horne@vps.it

The museum isn't disabled-friendly.
Herbert Percy Horne (1864-1916) was an English collector who lived in Florence. In 1911 he bought a building of  the 15th century, restored it and furnished it to recreate an example of a noble Renaissance residence. The museum has drawings, paintings, sculptures, furniture, ceramics, gold, fabrics etc. The St. Stephen by Giotto and the paintings by Pietro Lorenzetti, Simone Martini, Masaccio, Filippo and Filippino Lippi, Beccafumi and Dossi are of particular interest.


Museo delle Carrozze
Address: piazza Pitti
Telephone: 055294883

This museum, situated n the right-hand wing of Palazzo Pitti, houses carriages from 18th and 19th centuries, mainly from the Lorraine and Savoy courts. Of particular interest is an early 19th century decorated coach that came to Florence with the Savoy but originally belonged to Ferdinand II king of Naples, and three sumptuous berlin coaches in painted and gilded sculpted wood, built in Florence in 1818. The collection is currently housed in a depot which may be visited on request.


Porcelain Museum
Address: Palazzo Pitti, piazza Pitti 1
Telephone: 0552388709; 0552388761; 0552388605
Fax: 0552388710
E-mail: argenti@sbas.firenze.it

Housed in the Casino del Cavaliere (the so-called "Horseman's House"), at the top of the Boboli Garden, this museum presents a collection of porcelain tableware used by the various families who lived in Palazzo Pitti, from the Medici to the Savoy. Particularly worthy of note are the Egyptian and Greek style pieces (1790-1800) and the statuettes of Neapolitan folk figures made at the Real Fabbrica of Naples; the various porcelain table services were made by Manifattura di Doccia, and in Sevres, Vienna and Meissen.


Jewish history and art museum
Address: via L.C. Farini 4/6
Telepphone: 0552346654
Fax: 055244145
E-mail: cscsigma@tin.it

This museum is housed on the first floor of the Tempio Maggiore, built in 1882 in exotic Moresque style, with an impressive façade and copper-clad dome. Through a series of photographs, it presents various aspects of the life of  the Jewish community and its relations with the city, as well as displaying an extensive collection of furnishings, fabrics gold and liturgical items related to the Hebrew worship and ancient codes. Visits are also organised to the monumental Jewish cemetery created in 1777 outside Porta San Frediano.


Orsanmichele
Address: via Arte della Lana 1
Telephone: 055284944
Fax: 055219397


Housed in the beautiful Gothic halls on the upper floors of the church of Orsanmichele, the museum holds most of the original sculptures which formerly adorned the outside of the church before being moved inside for security reasons, and replaced by copies. Of particular value are the statues of the patron saints of the guilds, realised by some of the main artists of the Renaissance: Donatello, Ghiberti, Nanni di Banco and Verrocchio. There is a splendid view from the hall on the second floor.


San Marco museum
Address: piazza San Marco 3
Telephone: 0552388608
Fax: 0552388704
E-mail: museosanmarco@tiscali.it

This museum occupies the oldest part of the Dominican monastery enlarged by Michelozzo for the Medici family in 1437-1452 and is devoted mainly to the work of the "Blessed" (Beato) Fra Angelico, who painted his most important fresco cycle here. As well as the frescoes that decorate the various rooms of the monastery, there is an extensive collection of paintings on wood by Beato Angelico in the ancient hospice. Worthy of mention is also the Last Supper by Ghirlandaio who lived here in the early 16th century.


Museo di Storia Naturale Sezione Botanica "F. Parlatore"
Address: via La Pira 4
Telephone: 0552757462
Fax: 055289006
E-mail: musbot@unifi.it

The home of Italy's most important herbarium, with some 4 million specimens. It contains the historical plant collections of A. Cesalpino (16th century), P.A. Micheli (18th century) and P.B. Webb (18th and 19th centuries), a collection of plants made of wax and 17th century paintings depicting plants. These latter collections, together with the historic herbaria, form the core of the section, and were brought here from the old Imperial and Royal Museum of Physics and Natural History, founded by the Lorraine family in 1775.

 

Natural history museum: geology and palaeontology section
Address: via La Pira 4
Telephone: 0552757536
Fax: 0552756230
E-mail: muspal@unifi.it

The core of the museum dates back to the time of the Lorraine and was part of a single museum until it was broken up in the 19th century. It was opened to the public in its current form in 1963. The collection of vertebrates is particularly interesting. The section containing fossilised invertebrates, plants and rocks is open to researchers only.


Natural history museum: minerals and stones section
Address: via La Pira 4
Telephone: 055275737
Fax: 0552757455
E-mail: musminfi@unifi.it

Created with the transfer of various sections of the Museum of Physics and Natural History by the Lorraine household in 1775, this museum contains some 40.000 samples of rocks and mineral, together with the Medici collection of various artistic items made from different kinds of processed  stones. It forms a section of the Natural History Museum of Florence University.


Natural history museum: botanic garden or "Giardino dei Semplici"
Address: via P.A. Micheli 3
Telephone: 0552757402
Fax: 0552757438
E-mail: ortobot@unifi.it

Founded in 1545 by Cosimo de Medici, the garden consists of green-houses, an arboretum containing century-old trees and thematic collections of medicinal and food plants, palms, citrus fruit-trees, succulents, carnivorous plants and other exotic species. Recent creations have focused on local plant life: mesophilic shrubs, endemisms, serpentinophytes, edible wild plants, wild ancestors of fruit trees, and medicinal plants in the popular tradition.


Museo di Storia Naturale Sezione Zoologica "La Specola"
Address: via Romana 17
Telephone: 0552288251
Fax: 055225325
E-mail: specola@specola.unifi.it

This museum derives from the Imperial Regio Museum of Physics and natural history, founded in 1775 by Pierre Léopold of Lorraine. The Galileo tribune (1841), with its celebrative decorations of Italian scientists, is what remained of the original museum. After the removal of many sections to other museums in the 19th century, the museum comprises an extensive collection of zoological items and anatomical wax models. Particularly important are the waxes of the Siracusan scientist Gaetano Zumbo (1656-1701), the first examples of polychrome anatomical wax models.


Diocesan museum Santo Stefano al Ponte
Address: piazza Santo Stefano al Ponte 5
Telephone: 0552710732
Fax: 0552710741

The works kept in the former church of Santo Stefano al Ponte, situated in proximity of Ponte Vecchio, come mostly from the former Museo Arcivescovile. Sacred furnishings, gold artefacts and paintings are exhibited inside. Giotto's Enthroned Madonna, a St. Julian by Masolino and Paolo Uccello's Quarate predella are particularly noteworthy. In 2002 a small section devoted to contemporary sacred artworks was created.


Santa Maria Novella museum and monumental cloisters
Address: piazza Santa Maria Novella
Telephone: 055282187
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

The museum displays gold artefacts, wooden sculptures, fabrics and embroidery work from the church treasury, and includes the cloisters of the convent, whose frescoes are outstanding examples of 14th and 15th century Florentine painting. The so-called Green Cloister, decorated entirely with scenes from the old Testament, is a masterpiece of Paolo Uccello's later work. The frescoes by Andrea Bonaiuti in the Cappellone degli Spagnoli celebrate the Dominican order.


Florentine museum of prehistory 
Address: via Sant'Egidio 21
Telephone: 055295159
Fax: 0552340765
E-mail: info@museofiorentinopreistoria.it

A museum documenting the most ancient traces of human activity from the early Stone Age to the late prehistoric age, almost up to the time when historical records were first kept. The museum is a dynamic institution, whose vitality is seen in the constant enlargement of its collections, the studies carried out and the resulting publications, together with a busy educational programme extending beyond strictly academic circles.


Museo Marino Marini
Address: piazza San Pancrazio 1
Telephone: 055219432
Fax: 055289510
E-mail: museomarinomarini@tiscalinet.it

This museum is housed in the purposely restored former church of San Pancrazio, and has works by the Pistoia-born artist Marino Marini (1901-1980): 87 sculptures, 33 paintings, 30 drawings and 30 engravings bequeathed at different times by the artist and his wife Marina. The works cover all the artistic periods and milestones in the career of Marini, who was one of the most multi-faceted figures of the 20th century art.


Bargello National Museum
Address: via del Proconsolo 4
Telephone: 0552388606
Fax: 0552388756
E-mail: museobargello@libero.it
The museum is disabled friendly.

The museum of Renaissance sculpture is housed in the medieval Palazzo del Podestà, now called Palazzo del Bargello, which also contains a chapel frescoed by Giotto. All the major Florentine artists of the period are present: Ghiberti, Donatello, Brunelleschi, Luca della Robbia, Verrocchio, Michelangelo, Ammannati, Cellini and Giambologna. There is also a fine collection of minor medieval and Renaissance art: ivories, enamel work, sacred and profane artefacts in gold, majolica, medals, coins, bronze figures and weapons.


National Museum of Anthropology and Ethnology- A section of the Natural History Museum
Address: via del Proconsolo 12
Telephone: 0552396449
Fax: 055219438
E-mail: musant@unifi.it

This museum aims at the collection, preservation, study and divulgation of works relating to the field of anthropological sciences. Its vast collections include some extremely rare and ancient items: from pre-Columbian America, formerly part of the Medici household collection, and items collected by James Cook in 1776 on his voyage through the Pacific. The collections were extended with items from numerous scientific expeditions made in the 19th and 20th centuries, documenting the culture of indigenous peoples from all continents.


Museo Salvatore Ferragamo
Address: via Tornabuoni 2
Telephone: 0553360456
Fax: 0553360475
E-mail: sricci@ferragamo.com

This museum, housed in the 13th century Palazzo Spini Ferroni, is a testimony and celebration of the work of the "Godfather of shoemakers " Salvatore Ferragamo and his importance in the history of international fashion. The collection comprises over 10,000 models created between 1920 and 1960, exhibited on a rotation basis in various thematic displays.


Museo Stefano Bardini
Address: Piazza de' Mozzi 1
Telephone: 0552342427
Fax: 0552625984
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

Art connoisseur and skilled international merchant, Stefano Bardini (1836-1922) transformed the building into an imposing Renaissance palace and furnished it with items from his own antiques gallery, and various architectural structures brought from demolished churches and palaces. The museum, bequeathed to the city, contains  artistic masterpieces the likes of Tino di Caimano's Charity, Donatello's Madonna dei Cordai, Pollaiolo's St.Michael Archangel and many other minor artworks. The museum is expected to re-open in 2005.


Museo Stibbert
Address: via Federigo Stibbert 26
Telephone: 055475520; 055486049
Fax: 055475721
E-mail: museostibbert@tin.it

The Museo Stibbert is one of the most charmingly unexpected places in Florence. The museum-house designed by its owner, Frederick Stibbert (1838-1906), presents in a strikingly beautiful context the exceptional collections that Stibbert bequeathed to the city after his death. Most notable among the exhibits is the famous weapons collection, but also on display are some quite remarkable artefacts and everyday items from the civilisations of Europe, the Islamic world and the Far East, especially Japan.


Museo Storico Topografico "Firenze com'era"
Address: via dell'oriuolo 24
Telephone: 0552616545
Fax: 0552616568
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

With its paintings, prints and models, this museum offers a rich documentation of the transformations underwent by the city of Florence through the ages. Alongside the large Catena Map of 1470, are the Topographical map of Buonsignori (1594) and the lunettes by Giusto Utens with the Medici villas. Also interesting are the 18th century views of the Zocchi, the pictures of 19th century Florence and a section dedicated to the evolution of the Florentine area, from the earliest Roman settlements onwards.


Palazzo Medici Riccardi – Benozzo Gozzoli Chapel
Address: via Cavour 3
Telephone: 0552760340
Fax: 0552760451
E-mail: a.belisario@provincia.fi.it

This prototype of the Renaissance Florentine palace was built in the 15th century for the Medici household. In the 17th century it became the property of the Riccardi, who renovated and enlarged the building. The walls of the Chapel were frescoed in 1459 by Benozzo Gozzoli with the famous Procession of the Magi. The Luca Giordano room has a ceiling frescoed by the Neapolitan artist with a complex and particularly crowded Allegory of Divine Wisdom (1685). The visit also includes Michelozzo's courtyard and the garden.


Palazzo Vecchio – Monumental Rooms
Address: piazza della Signoria
Telephone: 0552768325
Fax: 0552625984
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.firenze.it


Palazzo Vecchio

Quartieri Monumentali
Indirizzo: piazza della Signoria
Telefono: 055 2768325
Fax: 055 2625984
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.firenze.it


Servizi disabili: parziale
Originally built at the end of the 13th century as the home of the Priori delle Arti. In 1540 Cosimo I de' Medici turned the fortress-palace into the family home of the grand-dukes and charged the architect Vasari with the necessary readjustments to transform it into a sumptuous residence. In addition to the Salone dei Cinquecento, the study of Francis I, the frescoes in the Quartiere di Eleonora and the Quartiere degli Elementi, there are some masterpieces of Renaissance sculpture: Verrocchio's Putto, Donatello's Judith and Holofernes, and Michelangelo's Victory.


Parco di Villa il Ventaglio
Address: via Aldini12
Telephone: 055802837

The park was built between 1839 and 1856 by Giuseppe Poggi for Milanese count Giuseppe Archinto. Poggi created a romantic park with extensive lawns and large trees around a long winding path. In 1862 the villa and park were sold to Aristide Castelli, and in 1969 passed under State control. The villa is the home of the Università Internazionale dell'Arte, the park is a historic garden.


Collection "Alberto Della Ragione" and 20th century collections
Address: via Sant'Egidio
Telephone: 0552625961
Fax: 0552626584
E-mail: gestione.musei@comune.fi.it

The core of the collection was donated to the City of Florence in 1970 by the Genoese benefactor Alberto Della Ragione. It presents 20th century Italian art from Futurism to Metaphysics, the return to order and some works of the 1950s. featured artists include: De Chirico, Carrà, Morandi, De Pisis, Casorati, Sironi, M.Marini, A.Martini, Manzù, Fontana, the Roman School and the Corrente movement, with Vedova, Migneco, Birolli and Cassinari. The museum also has a number of canvases by De Pisis donated by the poet Palazzeschi and a set of paintings by Rosai.


Sala Capitolare Chiesa Santa Maria Maddalena De' Pazzi
Address: Borgo Pinti 58
Telephone: 0552478420

The chapter house of the former Cistercian monastery (1442-1628), which later belonged to the Carmelite nuns (1628-1888), is decorated with a fresco of the Crucifixion by Perugino (1493-1496) , set against a beautiful landscape inspired by the area around Lake Trasimeno. The fresco on the left wall, with its sinopia, represents Jesus being taken from the cross and inviting St. Bernard to worship the sixth wound caused by the transverse section of the cross.


Villa Medicea della Petraia
Address: CASTELLo, via della Petraia 40
Telephone: 055451208

The courtyard and ground floor are disabled friendly; the garden path, however, is very uncomfortable.
The Medici had the villa redesigned by Buontalenti and frescoed by Volterrano with a representation of the glories of the Medici family and  the Knights of St. Stephen. The mainly 19th  century furnishings are particularly noteworthy. Note also the memorabilia of King Victor Emanuel II Savoy and his morganatic wife, the countess of Mirafiori, who lived here between 1865 and 1870. The beautiful three-level garden has nurseries, hothouses and pools, a fountain of Venus-Fiorenza by Tribolo and a statue by Giambologna.


Villa Medicea di Careggi
Address: viale Pieraccini 17
Telephone: 0554279755; 0554279497 (porter's lodge at the villa)
Fax: 0554279080
E-mail: aoc@ao-careggi.toscana.it


The villa, rebuilt upon a design by Michelozzo in the first half of the 15th century, was the favourite residence of Lorenzo il Magnifico, who founded the Accademia Platonica and also died here. Today it is the headquarters of the Azienda ospedaliera di Careggi (Careggi hospital authority), but it is also a monument open to visitors. In fact, much of the original architecture and the 17th century pictorial decorations have survived intact.


Florence Tourism

Condividi

 

guide di Viaggio

 

Your Travel Guides


Hotel in Florence

 

B&B a Firenze

 

 

Florence-tourism.com designed by
Net Reserve srl
Viale Verga, 75 b
50135 Firenze
Tel: 055.573331
P.Iva/C.F 02291930481






FLORENTS EVENTS Art, culture, tradition

FLORENCE CUISINE Simply, nourishing

FLORENCE HOTELS Book your Hotel in Florence

FLORENCE MAP Around town